Mending and Blocking An Estonian Shawl

About four years ago I made the Queen Silvia shawl from Nancy Bush's book Knitted Lace of Estonia.  I loved working on it, and it turned out beautifully, but I hadn't washed it since then.  I recently soaked it in some woolwash (by hand, in my tub) and then re-blocked it.

During the blocking process, I discovered a hole.  Because it was in garter stitch, the hole looked bigger than it actually was.  Only one row had unravelled so far, across three stitches.  I started by picking up all the loose stitches on stitch markers.

I did some research and found this website to be the most helpful:  I used the weaving method.  I had some leftover yarn from when I had originally made the shawl, so I cut a few inches of that and threaded it on a blunt tapestry needle.  After spending a few minutes staring really hard at the rows above and below, I eventually figured out how to thread the yarn through the stitches so that it looked like knitting.  

It helped to have knowledge of the kitchener stitch (  Although the kitchener stitch duplicates the look of stockinette stitch, and I was duplicating garter stitch, I still felt like it helped to have that background knowledge.

My mending really does look just like garter stitch.  The only thing that makes the area stand out a little is the double thickness of yarn where the old and new were merged together.

When I originally made the shawl, I was relatively new to blocking.  This time, I stretched it a little more to make the shawl more open-looking and to accentuate the tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment